Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Parallelism sentence variety, and sentence clarity are necessary to effectively complete your body paragraphs. Why? How might you use them?

As stated in the text “parallelism creates a sense of rhythm and balance in writing by using the same grammatical structure to express equal ideas”. The text also states, “Parallelism may be created by connecting two clauses or making a list using coordinating conjunctions; by comparing two items using than or as; or by connecting two parts of a sentence using correlative conjunctions.” Honestly I was kind of confused on what the difference was when I was reading the text because it looks and sounds the same but there is a tad bit difference. Here is the text book example:
Faulty Parallelism: Swimming in the ocean is much tougher than a pool.
Correct Parallelism: Swimming in the ocean is much tougher than swimming in a pool.
Faulty Parallelism: When I walk the dog, I like to listen to music and talking to friends on the phone.
Correct Parallelism: When I walk the dog, I like listening to music and talking to friends on the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment